— Aug 07, 2013
Ever since I started using turnip, I’ve been a pretty big fan of the gherkin syntax for my acceptance specs. Recently, upon upgrading to RSpec 2.14, I ran into an issue with turnip. Having wanted to level up in open source contributions for awhile, I quickly tried to troubleshoot the issue so that I could offer a pull request.
I was able to narrow the problem down to RSpec which prevented the
files from loading. Being unfamiliar as I am with the RSpec codebase, I wasn’t
able to come up with a solution on my own, but I did write up a
detailed bug report for the
minds behind RSpec to take a crack at.
OSS to the rescue! It was awesome to see it picked up, fixed, and closed out in less than 24 hours. This is not only a testament to the great work that the RSpec core team does (specifically Jon Rowe in this case), but also the power of open source as a whole. Here’s hoping my next contribution comes patch included!